Current:Home > MarketsAustralia tells dating apps to improve safety standards to protect users from sexual violence -Capitatum
Australia tells dating apps to improve safety standards to protect users from sexual violence
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:58:29
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s government said Monday the online dating industry must improve safety standards or be forced to make changes through legislation, responding to research that says three-in-four Australian users suffer some form of sexual violence through the platforms.
Communications Minister Michelle Rowland said popular dating companies such as Tinder, Bumble and Hinge have until June 30 to develop a voluntary code of conduct that addresses user safety concerns.
The code could include improving engagement with law enforcement, supporting at-risk users, improving safety policies and practices, and providing greater transparency about harms, she said.
But, Rowland added, if the safety standards are not sufficiently improved, the government will use regulation and legislation to force change.
“What we want to do in this sector is not stifle innovation, but balance the harms,” she told reporters.
The government is responding to Australian Institute of Criminology research published last year that found three-in-four users of dating apps or websites had experienced some form of sexual violence through these platforms in the five years through 2021.
“Online dating is actually the most popular way for Australians to meet new people and to form new relationships,” Rowland said.
“The government is concerned about rates of sexual harassment, abusive and threatening language, unsolicited sexual images and violence facilitated by these platforms,” she added.
The Australian Information Industry Association, which represents the information and communications technology industry in Australia but not the online dating sector, welcomed the government’s approach as “very measured.”
“That’s the way the government should regulate technology,” the association’s chief executive, Simon Bush, said. “Point out where there’s an issue, get the industry together and get the industry to look to see if they can resolve these issues first before pulling the regulatory trigger.”
Bumble declined to comment. Tinder and Hinge did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Kath Albury, an online dating researcher at Melbourne’s Swinburne University of Technology, said safety improvements could include a clearer sense of how quickly a user could expect feedback after reporting an unwanted or threatening contact.
“One of the things that dating app users are concerned about is the sense that complaints go into the void or there’s a response that feels automated or not personal responsive in a time when they’re feeling quite unsafe or distressed,” Albury told Australian Broadcasting Corp.
veryGood! (68)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Which is the biggest dinner-table conversation killer: the election, or money?
- Are schools closed on Election Day? Here's what to know before polls open
- Landmark Washington climate law faces possible repeal by voters
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Democrats in Ohio defending 3 key seats in fight for control of US House
- Democrats in Ohio defending 3 key seats in fight for control of US House
- Who is John King? What to know about CNN anchor reporting from the 'magic wall'
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Erik Menendez’s Wife Tammi Menendez Shares Plea for His Release After Resentencing Decision
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Democratic-backed justices look to defend control of Michigan’s Supreme Court
- After Disasters, Whites Gain Wealth, While People of Color Lose, Research Shows
- Democratic mayors in San Francisco and Oakland fight to keep their jobs on Election Day
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Democrats defend Michigan’s open Senate seat, a rare opportunity for Republicans
- Prince William Reveals the Question His Kids Ask Him the Most During Trip to South Africa
- Salma Hayek reimagines 'Like Water for Chocolate' in new 'complex,' 'sensual' HBO series
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Figures and Dobson are in a heated battle for a redrawn Alabama House district
Figures and Dobson are in a heated battle for a redrawn Alabama House district
Home Depot founder Bernard Marcus, Trump supporter and Republican megadonor, has died
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Jason Kelce apologizes for role in incident involving heckler's homophobic slur
NASA video shows 2 galaxies forming 'blood-soaked eyes' figure in space
Massachusetts Democrat Elizabeth Warren seeks third term in US Senate against challenger John Deaton